Why Xeriscape?First of all, what is xeriscaping? It's such a funny word. What does it mean, and where did it come from?
Xeriscaping comes from the Greek word "xeros".
- Xeros meaning:
- free from moisture or excess moisture; not moist; not wet
- being without moisture; extremely dry; parched
- brief; concise;
Reasons to XeriscapeFolks are xeriscaping their yards more and more these for 3 reasons.
Eco-FriendlyXeriscaped lawns are environment savers. Because of the green globe efforts, xeriscaping has become very popular.
- They do not require herbicides, pesticides, or any other harmful chemicals.
- Rain Barrel Systems are highly effective and easy to use when xeriscape. Rain barrels can be purchased or even made. Using Orbit parts, like irrigation drip line, you can route all the rain water you accumulated freely and naturally to water any plants you might have.
- Don't want to do the rain barrel system? In that case, all you'll need is a drip irrigation system. They're easy install and you can choose from a variety of Orbit timers designed specifically for drip irrigation systems.
- Because you are consuming less imported or ground water, more water will be made available for other domestic and community uses and the environment.
Keeping up with the yard can be a pretty big job. If you don't have time to dedicate half a day every week to the care and health of your lawn, you may want to consider xeriscaping.
- Never have to mow the lawn
- You won't have to deal with sprinkler issues like broken valves, sprinkler heads, leaks, or flooding
- Dry plants thrive in all habitats and weather conditions. No more worrying about plant feeders or fertilizers.
Save You Money
- On average, it costs between $150 and $200 a month to water an acre of grass. Do the math yourself by calculating irrigation costs!
- You will save money on maintenance costs as well. When your yard is xeriscaped you won't have to keep buying fuel, fertilizer, trimmer line, replacement sprinkler heads, etc. And you won't have to pay a professional another dime!
If you're looking for a change of scenery and want to save money as well as the planet, research Xeriscaping a little bit more. It is probably exactly what you are looking for. The process of transforming your lawn into a xeriscaped yard does not have to be an expensive or challenging process.