So how do you tell which bugs are garden-friendly? Well, it's tough. But after you read this post, you'll be able to recognize them once you see them.
I put together a nice little visual aid for you guys. While there are probably a few garden-friendly bugs I left out, these are some of the most common ones.
- Ladybugs - They are a menace to menacing bugs both in larvae (meaning young baby) and adult. They also find whiteflies,thrips, and spider mites to be mighty tasty.
- Spined Soldier Bugs - They eat all the bad guys. Caterpillars, grubs, moths, you name it!
- Braconid Wasps - Eat the terrible hornworms.
- Hoverflies - These guys look like the green caterpillar off of A Bug's Life. And like that fat caterpillar, they are always hungry and eat like crazy. Some of the garden pests they eat are aphids, mealybugs, caterpillars (heh), and leafhoppers, to name a few.
- Lacewings aka Aphid Lions - They call them Aphid Lions for a good reason. In the larval stage, lacewings eat aphids by the spoonfull as well as other small, soft-bodied garden pests.
- Ground Beetle - They target over 100 different types of insect pests! They, themselves, are terribly nasty looking but they'll do your plants a lot of good if you can stand to look at them.